Faith must be fresh

There is a faith that leaves. 

Abraham showed that kind of faith, when he left his father's house and country, for an unknown destination. He walked in that faith for many years, through many trials and tribulations.

Then, there is a faith that believes the impossible.

The two are not the same.

Abraham was then challenged to believe that God could give him and his barren wife many, many descendants. This was humanely impossible. Did Abraham flinch when he heard that promise, I wonder? Did he recall the years and years of trying for a child, and the bitter disappointment that broke his heart each time? Did he think that God was cruel to expose the one area of his life where he had experienced the most pain and regret?


Abraham's initial faith to leave his country was good, but absolutely powerless to help him believe in the seemingly impossible promise of having children. If Abraham had relied on that previous faith to see him through, he would have failed this current test. He probably would have justified Himself to God with indignation, and maybe even anger. 

"Look, I've shown so much faith in leaving my father and my country. I've shown so much faith in walking this journey into the unknown for so many years. I've suffered so much and I've not given up. I do have faith. I will keep walking in faith just as I am. Bless me as I am. But don't ask me to believe in something so ridiculous and impossible as having as many descendants as the stars of the sky. That cannot happen." 

If Abraham had spoken thus, chances are, he would have continued his journey in the unknown land faithfully, but never laying hold of the promise of descendants.

But Abraham did believe the impossible - and it was credited to him as righteousness (Genesis 15:6). This was a pivotal moment in his life and all of biblical history. He became the prototype of faith, the biblical evidence that justification comes through faith, not the law. Generations later, Paul would make reference to this one crucial moment in Abraham's life to prove the essence of faith and grace (Romans 4:9-25, Galatians 3:1-9).

The faith decision of one moment can impact human history forever. 

I am grappling with two implications.

The faith I manifested in a previous season, in a prior test, cannot get me through a current crisis.I must show fresh faith.

And who is to know the awesome and mighty consequences you and I could set off, when we say "yes" to our personal faith crisis now?

(You may want to read this previous posting too)

Comments

Popular Posts