RSVP

An afternoon spent living the Word has revealed the Father’s heart to me more than I could have gleaned from simply reading the Bible.

“When you give a dinner or a supper, do not ask your friends, your brothers, your relatives nor rich neighbours, lest they also invite you back, and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just.” (Luke 14:12-14)

This was what we did today. We were celebrating a birthday, and we did it His way. I catered lunch for 20 people, told the team to invite the people mentioned in the verses above. When the food arrived, none of the guests had come. We read the next story in Luke 14:16-24. It tells the story of a king who invited people to his party, but the guests gave different excuses…

“I have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it. I ask you to have me excused.”

“I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test them. I ask you to have me excused.”

“I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.”

Finally, the king invited his servants to compel the poor, the sick, the lame to come, for he was zealous that his house be full.

We worshiped, prayed – and off we went, to look for party guests!

Many didn’t want to, or couldn’t come.

“I have to sell my palm wine, if I go, I’ll lose money.”
“I have to go home and look after the children.”
“I’m not dressed properly.”
“I have to attend a funeral.”
“I’m not used to such events.”

As I talked to different people who declined my invitation, I felt the Father’s heart powerfully. How He humbles Himself by calling people to come to Him, giving each person the right to reject Him, to hurt Him.

This is our God. He daily gives us the power to choose, in the process, possibly breaking His heart and disappointing Him. Again, I learnt the extent to which love makes itself vulnerable.

But nine people did come, including an old man and an old woman who told many stories all throughout lunch. There was also a man who sold bananas. We bought seven bunches to bless him!

Jesus, help me to truly live Your word, and feel Your heart.

Comments

Popular Posts