A God-sized solution


Perhaps the surest way to gain victory over our problems is to give ourselves wholly to a God-sized vision. By changing the object of our attention, everything changes naturally.

In the past two months, I have seen God at work in a new way, and experienced the joys of being at the right place at the right time, as I obey the promptings of the Spirit. My call has been renewed and my eyes opened to the many possibilities in the work. And as I contemplate leading the work to the next level, a newfound sense of purpose has settled in my heart. And that has made all the difference.

Like most people, I’ve struggled with my lack of discipline in my personal devotional times, and prayerlessness. I’ve also felt defeated by my character flaws time and again. Whatever solutions I’ve tried have not really brought about any lasting changes. Merely psyching up the will is not the answer.

This time round however, something has shifted quietly but surely. There is a sense of centeredness, instead of the persistent feeling that I was being pulled in a hundred different directions. There is a sense of expectancy and trust that God will show up suddenly with the breakthroughs we need, instead of feeling anxious.

I think allowing God’s great vision for the work to fill my heart and mind again has provided the cure to the petty problems I’ve been trying to overcome in my own strength. The answer is to give ourselves wholly to God’s vision in all its splendor and glory. 

The greatness of the vision then lifts us above our circumstances. As our human spirit reaches out for more of God, we start to discipline ourselves to be the best we can possibly be, for the sake of Him who has called us. And so, we start to willingly put to death our carnality, lay aside our childish ways and truly start to work out our salvation.

Often however, we do the very opposite. We make our personal problems our sole and central preoccupation, brooding over them constantly, bringing them to the Lord, and asking for His help. We go to God out of self-pity or anger as our problems consume us. And as we wait passively or impatiently for the solutions to come, we tell ourselves that for now, we are not ready to be part of the God-sized dreams He wants to give to us – the very thing that would cure us of our afflictions.

It’s interesting that Jesus did not counsel Peter about his many character flaws throughout their time together, at least based on what is recorded in the gospels. I think back to how Jesus called Peter to a God-sized dream again and again. “I will make you a fisher of men”, and later, “You will be the rock on which I build my church”, and finally, “Feed my sheep” at the lowest and darkest point in Peter’s spiritual life. Jesus helped Peter rise above his failures by calling him to a great work time and again - not by psychoanalyzing his problems or stroking his ego.

Are you ready for your breakthrough? But first you may have to say yes to a God-sized dream.

Comments

Popular Posts