Power under control

Power without self-control is deadly.

I learnt this as I drove my new and powerful 4WD Toyota Hilux off-road recently. On one side was the cliff, and on the other, a ditch. 

After engaging 4WD, I could feel the sheer power of the vehicle. Whenever I stepped on the gas beyond a certain limit, the pick-up would lurch forward. I was going round and round, up and down a winding and narrow dirt track. I had to grip the steering wheel with all of my strength to navigate the bends, to keep the powerful vehicle from going off the path.

This new experience has taught me that power must be used in a spirit of self-control. God cannot entrust great power to someone who has not yet learnt to walk in self-control; that would be destructive. It would be tantamount a driver who flies off the cliff because he underestimated the sheer power of the vehicle as he goes around a bend.

So nowadays, I am praying for greater self-control, as much as I ask for power. It really is true that fools rush in, where angels fear to tread...

Comments

Popular Posts