A change in mind

From CS Lewis' "The Great Divorce" - Two men spy on Napoleon in hell. A man recounts what they saw.

"What was he doing?"
"Walking up and down - up and down all the time - left-right, left-right - never stopping for a moment. The two chaps watched him for about a year and he never rested. And muttering to himself all the time. "It was Soult's fault. It was Ney's fault. It was Josephine's fault. It was the fault of the Russians. It was the fault of the English. Like that all the time. Never stopped for a moment...he didn't seem to be able to stop it."

And suddenly, clarity flashed across my understanding like a bolt of thunder.

This is why repentance is a change of mind. 

We can choose to change our minds - or we can be imprisoned in our own minds and say, over and over again, "This is why I was right, and that is where you are wrong..." - and find ourselves trapped in a private hell of our own making. 

God, I choose to change my mind gladly every single time You tell me I am wrong. And even if I'm not wrong, break into every thought and flood the narrow confines of my mind with Your light and joy.

Comments

Popular Posts