Following Jesus

I am back in Dili after a 4-day whirlwind visit to Singapore on some urgent work matters. It was only late on Monday night that my trip back was confirmed for the next day.

So on Tuesday morning I went to the travel agent to book my ticket. The agent was amused, and she asked if I usually made such last minute bookings!

In the hours leading up to my departure, I was very struck by what it meant to follow Jesus. I started writing this poem at the airport, and finished it in the skies.

Turbulence
Isn’t it funny that sometimes
following you means a
ruthless uprooting of lock, stock and barrel,
a severance of ties that bind,
a going-and-staying-away-for-God-only-knows-how-long?

But at other times,
it means getting up and going
at a moment’s notice,
with little more than the clothes on my back
and some poetry for comfort?

As I take to the skies again,
In a last-minute-high-speed-high-altitude pursuit of You
would you let Yourself be found?

They say turbulence is caused by air currents.
I say it's because You've heard my prayer.

Comments

Popular Posts