Filling it up


“I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God…” [Col 1:24-25]

A few evenings ago, I met up with another missionary, B, who has been here for almost a decade. I got to know her in 2003, during my first trip to Timor. Apart from the occasional trip home and to Singapore to attend different events, she and her husband have never left their ministry here.

I went to her house to pass her some teaching materials, and stayed to catch up. B filled me in on all her latest projects and travel plans. I couldn’t help noticing the graying roots of her hair, and how much she has aged in the last few years. Still, she was full of excitement about the road ahead for the ministry. Before leaving, I asked to pray together with her. Halfway through my prayer, I broke down and couldn’t stop crying. So did she.

I felt an intense burden for her from deep within that could only be expressed in uncontrollable sobs. The grief came over me like waves. On and on, I sobbed. I felt like I was experiencing the weight of all her sacrifices over the past decade of ministry in a dry and weary land - the emotional heartaches, the surrendered hopes and dreams, the attacks on her health, and so much more that words perhaps cannot describe. When I could finally control myself, I told her in Tetum, which has strangely enough, become my heart language of prayer – God sees all your sacrifices. They are precious to Him. One day, it will all be worth it.

Paul’s words in Colossians 1:24-25 have been resounding in my heart for a while now. As John Piper so accurately puts it, Paul does not mean that his sufferings can add anything to the work of Christ, which is complete. But those afflictions of Christ have yet to become real to the multitudes of people whom He wants to save. Through Paul’s sufferings, he, as it were, “delivers” the afflictions of Christ to the Gentiles, such that they can taste and see the Lord’s saving grace, come to know the truth and call upon His name. Paul’s joyful suffering makes the work of Christ real to them.

Suffering in this way is purposeful – it leads some to salvation, and others deeper into the heart of God. Our suffering can reflect certain facets of God’s character that may not yet be understood or trusted by others. How will the world come to know God’s grace for example, if I do not joyfully endure the pain of being taken advantage of, all the time extending forgiveness to the one who has hurt me? Or how will people know that God never walks out on His children, if I do not labour on patiently, courageously and tenaciously, even in times of dryness or danger? For others to know these truths about God, I must be willing to suffer, and to do so joyfully.

Have the afflictions of Christ become real to you? Will you make them real for others?

Comments

Popular Posts