Missed calls

I had a sudden impulse last night to look for some old photos. I did not find them, but in rummaging my many boxes of personal belongings, I found a copy of My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. So I stayed up for a while to read it.

“When we talk about the call of God, we often forget the most important thing, namely, the nature of Him who calls. There are many things calling each of us today. Some of these calls will be answered, and others will not even be heard. The call is the expression of the nature of the One who calls, and we can only recognize the call if that same nature is in us. The call of God is the expression of God’s nature, not ours.” 

[January 16, http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/01/16/devotion.aspx?year=2009]

The call of God has got to be one of the most discussed and debated topics, be it over the pulpit, in heart-to-heart chats with friends or personal, intimate encounters with the Lord.  

The call is the expression of the nature of the One who calls, and we can only recognize the call if that same nature is in us.

This statement intrigues me and whatever intrigues me, I like to investigate and probe!

Ever since I switched to a pre-paid mobile number last month, I have been receiving calls from a strange man. Nothing I say can convince him that I am not the person he is looking for – maybe an estranged ex-lover! I have since given up trying to talk to him. Instead, I have saved his phone number under the name “WRONG NUMBER!!!”

Last night, he called again after about a week of relative peace. I rolled my eyes and cancelled the call. As always, he called again, but I switched my phone to the silent mode and just ignored him.

Now, what do I know about Mr Wrong Number? He speaks with a heavy Indian accent. He is very rude. And persistent. And somewhat deluded.

The call is the expression of the nature of the One who calls…

How true, I thought. The call expresses the nature of the one who calls. Mr Wrong Number’s nastiness was certainly reflected in his calls to me.

And God’s call is an expression of His nature, which is revealed in His written Word and Jesus, the Living Word, through His Holy Spirit in us, and Creation. He is longsuffering love. He is just and merciful. He is the defender of widows and orphans. A friend of sinners. A shield to the poor. And so much more.

Out of that nature, His call goes forth. But Chambers says “we can only recognize the call if that same nature is in us.” Interesting. When we say we have not heard the call, or that God has not called us, what it actually means could be this: our nature has yet to be identified closely enough with God’s nature, for us to hear the call.

In the same entry, Chambers goes on to say:

“The call of God is not a reflection of my nature; my personal desires and temperament are of no consideration. As long as I dwell on my own qualities and traits and think about what I am suited for, I will never hear the call of God…The majority of us cannot hear anything but ourselves.”

Harsh words. But there is an inner witness that Chambers has hit the nail on the head.

In the following day’s entry, Chambers develops this theme.

“The call of God is not a call to serve Him in any particular way. My contact with the nature of God will shape my understanding of His call and will help me realize what I truly desire to do for Him. The call of God is an expression of His nature; the service which results in my life is suited to me and is an expression of my nature…

Service to God is the deliberate love-gift of a nature that has heard the call of God. Service is an expression of my nature, and God’s call is an expression of His nature. Therefore, when I receive His nature and hear His call, His divine voice resounds throughout His nature in mine and the two become one in service. The Son of God reveals Himself in me, and out of devotion to Him service becomes my everyday way of life.” 

[January 17, http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/my-utmost-for-his-highest/01/17/devotion.aspx?year=2009]

We are not called to serve Him “in any particular way”. I think this is an important truth to grasp, because if we don’t, we will think that we have somehow “succeeded” in answering His call just because we are doing a particular work (or did so years ago). Or that we are to withhold or postpone active service, because the circumstances make it difficult to serve in a particular way.

My sense is this: We are called to allow His divine nature to be revealed in ours and then expressed as service continually.

This is my attempt to break it down.

I hear the call only when I identify with God’s nature. That requires death to self.

I answer the call through a life of service that expresses the uniqueness of my nature.

In this process, God’s divine nature and my human nature come together and He is revealed in me.

Comments

Popular Posts