A day well spent

There are 24 hours in a day (although some of my students say there are only 8 - by which they are referring to the number of hours of daylight!) but some days certainly feel a lot longer than others. Today was one such day.

The morning started with a rude shock. A week ago, I had recommended a former student J, to attend an interview with a newly established Singapore firm. J had stood out as a bright and earnest young man. I also noticed that he had a melancholic streak in him, probably because he was concerned about his future.

To cut a long story short, J went for the interview and was hired to be an administrative assistant of sorts. I met his boss a few nights ago and received positive input. So this morning's call came as a complete surprise.

Apparently J had not shown up for work on a morning when he was needed to do translation out on the field. When his boss called him up, J told him he didn't want to continue working anymore. His reason? The boss had sent him for a computer course in hopes of increasing his capacity, but in so doing, the young man probably felt ashamed at not having the necessary skills. Coupled with his complete lack of working experience and inability to express himself appropriately, J took the easiest way out - he simply didn't show up for work!

I took action quickly and called J. I counselled him to to back to work. We arranged to meet that afternoon at the office. Before J arrived, I had a word with his boss about the many cultural minefields that litter the landscape here. He listened carefully.

Finally J arrived, we talked and things were ironed out. He decided to stay on to our relief.

Helping someone in a poorer country is more difficult and trying than anyone can imagine, especially if you are reading this in a country where access to piped water is a given, have experienced fewer than 5 blackouts in your entire life and you cannot remember the wonderful melody that a dialup internet connection makes. If I were to elaborate, it would be enough to fill a whole book.

So when I got home this evening, I felt rather drained emotionally, after having to counsel both boss and employee in culturally sensitive ways. But I was really glad that things ended on a positive note. To top it all off, our landlord's dogs came into the house and laid there quietly, as though to keep me company after a tiring day. As I stroked Hagar (so named because she looks really haggard!), she just laid there contentedly, while her offspring Moody pranced around us. At one point she licked my hand tentatively, the first time she has ever done so. It was a nice way to end the day. I felt like it was a day well spent. Who knows when the next little crisis will erupt. But for now I shall just enjoy God's way of assuring me that the little that we do here does make a difference, even if it is just for one person, one day at a time...

Comments

elaine said…
Am reading your entry, but now with much more insight. And I share your joy, for a day well spent and accomplished :)

Popular Posts