Seidauk...


"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" [Hebrews 11:1]

Seidauk (“See-dauk”). It’s the Tetum word for “not yet”, used to talk about events that have not happened, but which you believe will take place, sometime in the future. It’s a word that you hear often, here in Dili.

“Are there buses to Baucau?”, we asked a young lady at the bus terminal.

“Yes, there are many buses to Baucau, but they haven’t come yet”, she replied patiently, peering into the distance. “Seidauk mai.”

The minutes turned into hours. More people had gathered, seeking shade under the coconut tree. Still she never seemed to lose hope. Each time we asked her if the buses would come, she would simply say, “seidauk”. I sighed inwardly, shuffling my feet in the dust.

“Has anyone come to help your group before?”, we asked a young man from a neighbourhood youth group that was struggling to mobilize the community.

“Seidauk”, he said, smiling shyly.

The first few times I heard this response, I was somewhat puzzled. Why do they seem confident that the event will happen – even when there is no evidence to justify their optimism? Initially, I had problems answering “seidauk”, as I talked about things that had yet to happen. I would simply say, “lae”, which means no.

“Are you married?”, a neighbour asked me once.

“Lae,” I replied, very matter of factly.

He nodded and said, “Seidauk.”

As far as I was concerned, if something hasn’t taken place yet, it hasn’t, and it may not happen at all. “Not yet” just sounded strange…too hopeful, too optimistic to my jaded ears.

But slowly, I began to see the beauty in the word, “seidauk”. It reminded me of the definition of faith that the writer of Hebrews talks about – the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen. So I started appreciating the word. Every time I heard it said, I smiled inwardly. I thought of all the good things that God has for His children, things that have not yet unfolded in the grand scheme of things. I thought of the Kingdom of God, which is both already here, and yet to come. Seidauk. Not yet. But it will come.

I have found so much hope in one Tetum word. May we answer “seidauk”, as we wait upon God, with a quiet and deep assurance that surely, one day soon, the answer will come.

29 September, 2007

Saturday

Comments

Popular Posts